There are two main body configurations based on with or without sludge conditioning tank:
1. Model Without Sludge Conditioning Tank
- The incoming volume of sludge is adjusted by the flow control tank. The overflow pipe helps in regulating the sludge feed and the excess sludge is returned to the storage tank.
- The polymer coagulant is added to the flocculation tank and stirred together with the sludge. This promotes flocculation of the sludge. The flocculated sludge flows from the flocculation tank into the drum.
- The flocculated sludge moves to the dewatering drum via the connecting hose. The initial section is the thickening zone which thickens the sludge. The thickening helps in separating the solids from liquid. This is followed by the dewatering process. The drum carries out the process of thickening and dewatering in a single operation.
- The filtrate water returns to the primary process. The gaps towards the end plate decrease and with the pressure application, it discharges dewatered cakes.